Labels

Monday, November 27, 2017

Poblano rice, an introduction to my love of Mexican Food



           I am not sure about you guys but in our house we have Mexican Night at least once a week. My husband has always had a love affair with tacos, burritos, chimichangas or anything cheesy and spicy smothered in guacamole and salsa. Me on the other hand, not so much. It definitely has been a long and acquired taste. The only thing I would eat in the past was fajitas and tacos. I always thought I hated most Mexican food until I finally had authentic dishes one of my friends made me try. With one taste, I knew all of my past feelings were wrong and my tastes buds were reawakened by the spices of the cuisine.  In other words, I do like Mexican food I just never had the right dish.

            After one of my friends showed me the errors of my ways I have been trying a lot of new things. I really love ceviche', tacos de lengua, and de olla beans just to name a few. I thought to myself if I like these there must be others I would love. I knew then that I must learn how to make some of these dishes at home for dinner. You know what that meant. I had to buy a new cookbook of course. Purely for research purposes only. Wink, wink. You know I love cookbooks.

            The recipes in this book remind me of some of the dishes I have seen at the local carniceria. Oh yeah. I started visiting the local meat shops and Mexican grocery stores after realizing I love the food. Back to this cookbook. It is called Taqueria Tacos, a taco cookbook to bring the flavors of Mexico home, by Leslie Limon. From scanning this book, I have bookmarked many recipes to try in the future but the one I had to try right away was the Poblano Rice. I am so glad I did as it was definitely flavorful and delicious. Such simple ingredients made such a delightful dish. I cannot wait to make others from this book.


Poblano Rice
adapted from Taqueria Tacos, A Taco Cookbook
Leslie Limon
 
Ingredients
  1. 2 fresh poblanos charred, peeled, deseeded and diced
  2. 1 medium onion diced
  3. 3 garlic cloves
  4. 2.5 c chicken broth
  5. 2 T avocado oil or vegetable
  6. 1 c rice
  7. 1 c frozen peas
  8. salt and pepper to taste
 
Directions
 
  • Blend the onion, garlic, and chicken broth in a blender until smooth.

  • Heat a pan over medium heat.
  • Add the avocado oil or vegetable to the pan.
  • Add the rice and sauté until golden brown, around 5 minutes.

  • Combine the poblano chiles with the rice and cook for about 2 minutes.

  • Put the rice mixture into rice cooker and add the onion mixture and stir until combined.

  • Cook on white rice setting.
  • When rice finishes cooking add the frozen peas and mix in.
  • Salt and pepper to taste.
  • Serve with your favorite dish.
  • Enjoy!

 
              I would have never thought of making this rice before reading this recipe. I always thought the tomato based rice or plain was the only thing served with meals. This rice was tasty, piquant, and savory. Perfect for taco night. I highly recommend making this rice with your next Mexican themed night.
 
            I hope you have a great day and I will talk to you later this week.



          

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments:) Feel free to leave them anytime:)