Labels

Monday, October 17, 2011

Red Velvet Cupcakes

Hello everyone!
It has been a long time since I have blogged. I must say I have missed it and will try not to let life get in the way of me writing again. I guess you can say I have been a little busy and also a little lazy. The sad thing is I have not stopped cooking new recipes while I have been absent but have been slacking in the sharing department. This I promise to change.  I know I am happiest experimenting in the kitchen and I also like to share my results with all of you guys. It is part of the learning process and also helps my to regulate my stress level. I definitely need all the help I can get in that department. Things have been a little crazy around here but hopefully it will settle down soon.

Who is looking forward to the holidays and of course all of the turkey? I know I am. I can't wait for Thanksgiving. Hopefully I will be back at home with the family to celebrate. I have not been home in 13 years for Thanksgiving. I am so looking forward to it. I just hope plane tickets do not rise up in price too drastically before I get the chance to buy them. I aiming for this weekend to purchase them. Keep your fingers crossed that things go well for me.:) Speaking of holidays Christmas is right around the corner. I have already started buying presents for Christmas and I want to be done shopping way before then. I hate the big crowds!

Anyway back to cooking and baking. Today I was in the mood for something delicious and sweet. I finally decided that I wanted red velvet cupcakes. Let's just say it was a good choice:) I found a recipe on a fellow blogger's site and bookmarked  it a while ago to try. I am glad I made these. They were so easy and good. My hubby devoured two of them right away and then told me the rest were in danger.

Red Velvet Cupcakes
from Joy the Baker but adapted from the Hummingbird

Ingredients
For Cupcakes:

4 T of unsalted butter at room temperature
3/4 granulated sugar
1 egg
3 T cocoa powder
3 T red food coloring ( I used the paste and eyeballed it)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 c buttermilk
1 c + 2 T all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp distilled vinegar

For Cream Cheese Frosting
4 T cream cheese at room temp
4 T unsalted butter at room temp
2 1/2 c powder sugar
1 T vanilla

Directions
Preheat oven to 350F and line a cupcake pan with 12 liners. On med-high speed beat butter and sugar for about 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Turn the mixer on high and add the egg. Scrape down the sides and mix well.In separate bowl mix together cocoa powder, food coloring, and vanilla. Add to batter and mix on medium speed until well incorporated.

Add have the buttermilk and mix until blended then add half the flour and mix until blended. Repeat this step and mix until well blended and smooth. Turn mixer on low and add salt and baking soda and vinegar. Mix until smooth.

Divide the batter into the 12 liners and bake about 15 - 18 minutes until done.

 Cool on wire rack.

Frosting
Blend the cream cheese and butter for about 5 minutes with the whisk attachment. Scrape down the bowl as necessary. Add the powder sugar and blend until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and mix until well combined.

Frost the cupcakes and enjoy! I hope everyone is having a good Monday.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments:) Feel free to leave them anytime:)