Labels

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Asian Style Meatballs



     Wow! Was this past weekend hot here in Arizona. In spite of the heat we have been experiencing I still find myself in the kitchen cooking meals almost daily. I guess even the heat can't stop the creative juices from flowing which is a good thing. Last month I shared my version of an Italian meatball and if I do say so myself, they were tasty. This past week I was perusing the contents of my freezer and saw some Italian sausage and thought why not make meatballs again but instead of Italian style why not try something new.

    I started thinking about what I was in the mood for and it came to me, Asian style. I wanted my meatballs to be very flavorful and tender, I mean who doesn't. I then looked at my pantry to see what spices and sauces I had on hand. I have been trying to use what I have instead of always going to the store and picking up more things. I noticed some weeks I don't even use things before they spoil and that is a waste especially when I have been trying to save money. A couple of months ago I took a trip to the local Asian market and picked up a bunch of sauces and spices and never used them. This was the perfect time and the perfect dish for them. These meatballs were delicious and definitely left you wanting more. My husband and I ate as many as we could and the rest I saved for lunch the next day.

   I let a couple of my co-workers try them and they loved them. In fact, a couple of them insisted on the recipe because they wanted to make them for dinner. This proved to me the meatball recipe was a winner. I hope you feel the same way when you try them for yourselves.  You will not regret it. I bet you will over the leftovers. They are that good!



Asian Style Meatballs
 
Melissa DeWees
 
Ingredients for meatballs
 
  1. 1 1/2 lb. ground Italian sausage
  2. 1 T fresh grated ginger
  3. 1 tsp. black pepper
  4. 2 T fish sauce
  5. 2 tsp. garlic chili sauce
  6. 3 cloves garlic minced
  7. 2 shallots diced
  8. 1/4 c fresh cilantro chopped
  9. 2 eggs
  10. 1 c bread crumbs
  11. 1 tsp. black sesame oil
Ingredients for the sauce
 
  1. 1 c Hoisin Sauce
  2. 1/2 c rice wine vinegar
  3. 3 tsp. garlic chili sauce
  4. 2 cloves garlic minced
  5. 3 tsp. fish sauce
  6. 1 tsp. grated ginger
  7. 1 tsp. black sesame oil
Directions for meatballs
 
  • Preheat oven to 375 F
  • Combine all of the meatball ingredients in a bowl together and mix well.
 
  • Roll meat into 1 inch balls and line on a baking sheet.
 
  • Bake for 12-15 minutes until no longer pink and set aside.
  •  
  • While meatballs are in the oven make the sauce.
  • Combine all sauce ingredients in a pot and bring to a simmer.
  • When the meatballs are done add to sauce and toss them to coat completely.
 
  • Serve with either rice or your favorite sides.
  • Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments:) Feel free to leave them anytime:)