I feel like Thanksgiving has snuck up on me this year and tapped me on the shoulder. It seems like only yesterday it was New Years and now its almost Christmas. Where did all of the time go? I blinked and the year disappeared. I feel like the older I get the faster time moves and I hate that it does. Remember when you were little and you could not wait to grow up? Don't you wish you could go back and tell your younger self to just enjoy yourself because the time will come that you wish you were still a child. Now I just want to stay the same age forever. I know that is not possible but a girl can dream. Besides age isn't anything but a number. And my age is now permanently 29. That's right, 29!!
This year for Thanksgiving with the family I thought I would make something different than the usual Pumpkin pie, plain cheesecake, or apple pie. Not that those aren't delicious options, but sometimes it is good to switch things. Sometimes a variation from the norm is a good thing. If I never tried anything different I would never have anything new to tell you or share with you. You would be so bored and so would I.
I happened upon a recipe for Bourbon Banana Cheesecake and thought "Yes, Please!". I decided this was the dessert for us this year. It combines some of my favorite things bananas, booze, and cream cheese. I felt like this cake would take the holiday up to the next level. Don't worry if you decide to make this, you won't get drunk. Maybe a little tipsy. Just kidding! Unless you are a total light weight, and even then I don't think it is possible.
The bourbon just elevates the taste of bananas to the next level. It is so unbelievably good that you won't stop after one slice. I am not even teasing you. It is that good! Next time you want an interesting dessert, make this one. You won't be sorry. This might be my new go to recipe for family gatherings.
Bourbon Banana Cheesecake
adapted from the candid appetite
For the Crust
- 25 Gingersnaps crushed in food processor
- 3 tsp. sugar
- 4 T unsalted butter melted
- 3 bananas mashed
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1 T butter
- 1.25 oz. of bourbon
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 T heavy cream
- 4 - 8 oz. cream cheese bricks
- 1/4 c sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 1 c white sugar
- 1.75 oz. bourbon
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Combine crushed gingersnaps, sugar and melted butter
- Push crumbs together to make sure they are fully saturated and will stick together
- Press unto the bottom of a 9 inch spring form pan and bake for 10 minutes
- Cool Completely
- Mash the bananas until smooth. I used my hand blender but you can use a masher or the back of a spoon. Add the lemon juice to the bananas.
- Put in pan and add the brown sugar
- Cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves stirring constantly
- Stir in butter and when melted add the heavy cream and when completely combined add the bourbon
- Remove from stove and let cool to room temperature
- Make sure all ingredients are room temperature
- Combine cream cheese in stand mixer with sugar.
- Mix until completely blended and cream cheese has fluffed up.
- Add the eggs on at a time and mix until completely combined after each one. Scraping the sides as necessary. Make sure to get the bottom.
- Add the sour cream and mix until smooth.
- Add the bourbon
- Then add the banana mixture and mix by hand until smooth.
- Pour cheesecake into spring form pan.
- Use a water bath and bake for an hour to an hour and 20 minutes at 325 F depending on your oven.
- The middle should be a little jiggly.
- Let cool in the oven for an hour then move to baking rack and cool for another 2 hours.
- Refrigerate for at least 8 hours before serving.
- Top with whipped cream and banana slices if desired.