Labels

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Caramel Apple Tart

Hello everyone!
I hope today is a good day. It has been for me. I did not have to work and I was able to play around in the kitchen a bit. My favorite show comes on today. What is it? You ask. Well, if you haven't heard a show called American Horror Story on FX then you  are missing out. This is the 3rd episode and let me tell you. I am hooked. I love it! It is one of the best shows I have seen in a long time. I can't wait to see what happens tonight:)

Back to the cooking in the kitchen that occurred today. I saw on a fellow blogger's site a Caramel Apple Tart not too long ago. It looked so delicious I began to crave one for myself. The blogger, (I am sorry. I do not remember who's blog or I would give you credit) obtained the recipe from Bon Appetit. I changed it up just a little bit. I used different types of apples and did not make the caramel sauce from scratch but all in all it was good. It turned out to be really pretty and the ice cream with caramel sauce on top was a perfect touch. It was also easier than I thought it would be. My last pie effort did not turn out so well. Oh, well. It must mean I am getting a little better in the kitchen. Yay!! I probably will make this again during the holidays.

Caramel Apple Tart
from Bon Appetit

Ingredients

Caramel Sauce
1 1/2 c brown sugar packed
1 1/2 c of heavy whipping cream
6 T of unsalted butter

Crust
1 1/4 c all purpose flour
3/4 powder sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c chilled unsalted butter, diced
2 large egg yolks

Filling
2 T sugar (I also added brown sugar)
1 T all purpose flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon  ( I used ground cloves)
1/2 tsp cardamom
6 L McIntosh apples or golden apples (I used Fuji and jonagold)

Directions
Caramel Sauce
Bring sugar, cream, and butter to a boil in a heavy sauce pan over medium high heat. Whisk constantly until the sugar dissolves. Boil until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. This should take about 10 minutes.

Crust
Blend powder sugar, flour, and salt in processor. Add butter and blend until coarse meal forms. Add egg yolks. Pulse until moist clumps form. Gather dough into a ball. Flatten into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about an hour.

Filling
whisk the first 4 ingredients in a bowl to blend. Add apples and coat evenly.

Preheat the oven to 375. Roll out the dough into a 13inch diameter. Transfer to a 9 inch tart pan with removable bottom. Cut overhang off and press dough up 1/4 inch above sides of pan.

Place apples cut side down, in a circle around outer edge and fit them tightly.

Bake apple tart until tender, about an hour and 15 minutes. Remove from oven and brush with caramel sauce.

Let cool to room temp and then serve.

 I did not brush with caramel sauce but put it on the ice cream that I topped my piece with.

This tart was awesome. I recommend this recipe. I hope you are having a great day!

7 comments:

  1. Looks good and apple tart is something I can't stop drooling over and looking at the pics gave me the same feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carmel apple tart sounds amazing!!!! Perfect way to spend the day off. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just beautiful! Carmal and apple in a tart - topped with vanilla ice cream?! Heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at caramel apple. I am now in love. :-D And buzzing... and printing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like the perfect use for the jonagolds that I recently picked!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was delicious and very easy to make. I definitely will make this again. Thanks for stopping by everyone:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this looks so good and I can't wait to see the look on my family's faces when I spring this one on them!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments:) Feel free to leave them anytime:)