Labels

Friday, October 21, 2011

Chicken Parmesan casserole

Happy Friday Everyone!
The weekend is finally here if that means anything to anyone. Ha ha! It doesn't to me because I have to work all weekend but that's okay. I can always use the dollars. I hope everyone is planning to do at least one thing that is relaxing. It's not good to be on the go all the time.

The other day I was cruising the blogs looking for an easy weeknight dinner and I came across one that looked very interesting. It was on the blog Running with the Deviled Eggs and the dish is called Chicken Parmesan Casserole. I liked it. I changed up her recipe a little bit so I can't really call it Chicken Parm because I did not use Parmesan cheese and I used chicken breast instead of thighs and whole wheat flour instead of spelt but I think her recipe is creative and good. My hubby liked it and had two helpings. If you are looking for something different to make for dinner I would give this a try.

Chicken Parmesan Casserole
from Running with the Deviled Eggs
adapted by me

Ingredients
Base
1 1/2 c bread flour
1/2 c spelt flour (I used whole wheat)
2 packs of quick rise yeast
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 c warm water
3 T olive oil
2 cloves of chopped garlic

Toppings
4 chicken thighs (I used chicken breast)
2 T olive oil
1 1/2 T oregano (I used Italian Seasoning)
3 garlic cloves chopped
1 1/2 c spaghetti sauce (I used a jar of my favorite sauce)
1 roasted pepper (I did not have these)
1 c shredded cheese
1/4 c Parmesan cheese (I used 2 c of mozzarella cheese)

Directions
Put the chicken in a ziploc bag and mix with olive oil, oregano, and garlic and marinate for at least 30 minutes. Bake in preheated oven for 350F for about 20 - 30 minutes. Chop when cooled.
In the casserole dish spray it well or butter the sides well. Add all the base ingredients and stir. It will be sticky. (I used my food processor for this step and then spread it out with my fingers) make sure its even on the bottom.

Let it sit for about 5 - 10 minutes. I brushed it with olive oil. Meanwhile chop garlic and roasted pepper ( I used onion instead). Add the chicken to the base, top with onions,

then sauce, and finally with the cheese. Sprinkle with Italian Seasoning on top.

Bake for 35- 45 minutes. Let it rest for about 5 minutes before serving.
Enjoy!

I really liked this recipe and will make it again. It helped to liven up a favorite dish. I hope you have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments:) Feel free to leave them anytime:)