Labels

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Raw Zucchini Salad

Happy New Year All!

I know I have been decidedly absent these last few weeks but I'm back! It's a new year and I hope it will be a great one. Let's see. What's going on in my life? Not much really. I received new cook books for Christmas and am itching to try them out. I also have my eye on some new baking equipment. I made a couple of not resolutions but more like goals for myself.

Goals for 2012

1) Pay off some credit card debt
2) Become a better baker and cook
3) Take a couple of cooking classes
4) Read 200 books
5) Get in SHAPE
6) Go to a ballet
7) Go to a Sun's Game
8) Post at least twice a week
9) Get a new job
10) Go to at least 2 museums
11) Learn something new
12) Buy myself something extravagant just because
13) Go on a vacation
14) Go to a really nice restaurant (No chains)
15) Get more organized
16) Spend more time with my family
17) Finish my business associates
18) Throw a dinner party
19) Go some place I have never been
20) Save a good chunk of money for emergencies

These are my goals for this new year. I want to complete each of them. I know the cooking and baking is a work in progress but I at least want to improve my skills.

Enough about that. On to the good stuff. New recipes.
One of the new cookbooks I received for Christmas is called Ruhlman's Twenty. 20 Techniques, 100 recipes A Cook's Manifesto
I have just started reading this book and so far I have found it to be very informative. I like how the author explains the techniques and tells what will work and what won't and why. He has the book broken down into chapters which are techniques. Chapter 1 is thinking. Chapter 2 is all about Salt. Why you need it and how to use it. It is important to salt as you cook and not wait until the end to add it. In this chapter there are a couple of recipes to try. The 1st recipe is how to use salt to macerate veggies and change not only the texture but the taste of the vegetables. I tried it and let's just say...YUM! I definitely will make it again. I think it would make a great side for a picnic or for a BBQ. No more boring pasta salad!

You should give it a try.The texture of the zucchini changes because of the salt drawing the liquid out of it and it becomes something more. Something delicious:)

Raw Zucchini Salad

Ingredients

2 zucchini - 1 green and 1 yellow, cut on the bias into slices or julienned
kosher salt
1 T minced shallot
1 garlic clove, minced
1 T lemon juice
2 T olive oil
freshly ground pepper
1/4 c of almonds or walnuts rough cut (optional)
1/4 c fresh herbs

Directions

Put zucchini in colander and sprinkle evenly with 1 tsp of salt. Sprinkle with another tsp of salt and toss. Let stand for 10 - 20 minutes.

In a small bowl combine the shallot, garlic, and lemon juice. Shake off the moisture and taste. If too salty rinse and pat dry. In medium bowl toss the zucchini with olive oil. Spoon the lemon shallot mixture over and toss some more. Season with pepper and more salt and lemon juice if needed. Garnish with herbs and nuts if using.

Enjoy!
I hope you are having a great year so far:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments:) Feel free to leave them anytime:)