Labels

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Apple Cinnamon Bundt Cake


      Does anyone else feel as if this year is passing in a blink of an eye? It felt like just yesterday it was winter and now it's spring almost summer. I can't believe Memorial day is just next weekend and the kids are already out of school here. Where did all the time go? Before you know it, Christmas will be here. In an effort to slow down the year, at least in my mind, I decided to create a cake that actually would be perfect for the cooler months. What am I saying? It is perfect for any month. The weather this week has been some what mild so I can almost pretend it is fall. Wait. Does this mean I am actually speeding up the year or going back in time? Hmm. I'll have to think about this for a while.
      
     In the meantime how about I share the recipe of this delicious cake. My first attempt at creating a bundt cake recipe did not go so well. It looked really good until I took it out of the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. Then the unthinkable happened...... the middle sank. Luckily the cake was still delicious but it made me think my ratios were off. This time I adjusted my ingredients and baking time and it came out perfect. It was moist and the crumb was tender. I sometimes find it really  frustrating when I try and create a new recipe and it does not turn out quite right. I know it happens to the best of us and it is all in the learning process but it does not make it any easier to accept. The key is to not give up and eventually it will come together. I am so happy I kept at it because this cake was so worth it.

     This cake combines two of my favorite things, apple and cinnamon. I love this flavor combination and the aroma of it because it reminds me of my childhood. One of my favorite pies is apple only second to Lemon meringue. My sister makes a mean apple pie and I am jealous because mine never comes out quite as good as hers. I am going to have to keep practicing and someday I might be able to make mine better than hers. Until then, I have this cake.

    This cake is perfect for anytime of the day, whether you eat it for breakfast with a cup of coffee or tea or maybe for dessert if you prefer. If you are like me, you nibble on it all day long because why not? I hope you don't wait until Fall to make this cake because that would be a shame. I am not saying you have to make it tomorrow but I hope you give it a try soon.


Apple Cinnamon Bundt Cake
created by :Melissa DeWees
Ingredients
  1. 2 c all purpose flour
  2. 2 tsp. baking powder
  3. 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
  4. 1 tsp. baking soda
  5. 1 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon divided
  6. 1/2 tsp. cardamom divided
  7.  1/4 tsp. salt
  8. 4 eggs
  9. 1 stick and 1 T of unsalted butter
  10. 1 c white sugar
  11. 1 c brown sugar and 2 T brown sugar
  12. 3/4 c buttermilk
  13. 2 tsp. of vanilla
  14. 2 c diced apples and 1 T of lemon juice squeezed on them to prevent browning.
for the glaze
  • 1 c of powdered sugar
  • 2 T of heavy cream
  • 1 tsp. of vanilla

Directions
  • Preheat oven 350 F
  • Spray a bundt pan really well with cooking spray or butter and flour your bundt pan.
  • In a pan on the stove melt 1 T of butter over medium heat. Add the apples, 2 T of brown sugar, 1/4 tsp. cardamom, and 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon and mix together. Cook until softened and the liquid is reduced and set aside to cool. 
  • Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, 1tsp. of cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. of cardamom, and salt in a bowl together and then set aside.
  • Mix the vanilla and buttermilk together in a measuring cup.
  • In a mixer beat one stick of butter and both sugars until light and fluffy.
  • Mix the eggs one at a time scraping the bowl when necessary.
  • Add 1/3 of the flour, followed by 1/2 of the buttermilk mixture, another 1/3 of the flour, the rest of milk, and then finally the last of the flour mixture. Make sure it is mixed well.
  • Add 1/2 of the batter to the bundt pan and top with cooked apples, then pour the remaining batter over the top and smooth with and offset spatula.
  • Bake for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
  • Let cool on a baking rack for 10 minutes and then invert on a plate or baking board and cool completely.


  • Make the glaze adding more sugar or heavy cream if necessary to get a thick but spreadable consistency.
  • Drizzle glaze over cake and let set before cutting.
  • Enjoy!


    
     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments:) Feel free to leave them anytime:)