Labels

Thursday, May 5, 2016

Orange Poppy Seed Cake


         For the last month I have been baking out of the cookbook Lick the Bowl Good, by Monica Holland, and for the most part the recipes have turned out well. If you get the chance I recommend picking up this book. It contains a variety of recipes from cakes to brownies to puddings and they are very easy to follow.

       I asked my husband what kind of dessert he was in the mood for this past week and handed him the book to peruse. He chose the Orange Poppy Seed Cake which surprised me because he is usually all about the chocolate. His choice pleased me because I am one of the few who do not care for chocolate. I know, I am a little bit strange this way. This cake turned out light and fluffy with a very nice orange flavor. I used a naval orange for the cake and added a little extra something in the glaze. Can you guess what the something was? I bet you can. If you guessed alcohol you would be correct. Grand Marnier to be exact. I think it made the glaze just that much better. I do not recommend using orange juice out of a carton for this. I think the orange juice you buy from the store has a lot more sugar in it and you also won't achieve the delicate orange flavor in this cake.

     This cake is perfect for a breakfast treat to go with your morning tea or coffee. It is also good for an after dinner snack when you just want a little something to nibble on.  Don't worry about the alcohol because it is definitely not enough to get you drunk. I hope if you get the chance you make this cake and also pick up this book.

Orange Poppy Seed Cake
 
adapted from Monica Holland
 
Ingredients
 
For the cake
  1.  1 1/2 c all purpose flour
  2. 1 T of baking powder
  3. 1/2 tsp. of baking soda
  4. 1/4 tsp. of salt
  5. 3 T of poppy seeds
  6. 1/2 c plain Greek yogurt
  7. 2 L eggs
  8. 1/4 c fresh orange juice
  9. 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  10. 1/2 c unsalted butter at room temperature
  11. 3/4 c granulated sugar
  12. 1 T orange zest
For the Glaze
 
  1. 3/4 c powdered sugar
  2. 1 tsp. orange zest
  3. 1 T Grand Marnier
  4. 1 T orange juice
 
Directions
 
  • Preheat the oven to 350 F
  • Grease a 9 inch cake pan and set aside
  • Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and poppy seed in a small bowl.
 
  • Combine yogurt, eggs, orange juice, and vanilla together and whisk until combined.
  • In the mixer cream butter, sugar, and orange zest together until light and fluffy.
 
  • Add 1/3 of flour mixture followed by 1/2 of yogurt mixture and mix until combined. Repeat until all of the ingredients are incorporated scraping down the bowl as necessary.
  • Scrape into prepared cake pan and bake 30 - 35 minutes until done.
 
  • Cool cake in pan for about 10 minutes, then turn out on baking rack and cool completely.
  • Once the cake is cooled, transfer to serving plate and make the glaze.

 
  • Whisk all of the glaze ingredients in a bowl together, you may have to add more powdered sugar if it is not at the desired consistency.
  • Pour over top of the cake and allow it to set before cutting.
 
 
        This cake is perfect for the days when you are craving something sweet and not too heavy. The bonus is it is very easy to make and not time consuming. I hope you have a great day and I will talk to you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments:) Feel free to leave them anytime:)