Labels

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Quick and Easy Salsa


      It has been a very hectic week and this has left me with little time in the kitchen. Long hours with very little sleep means cranky Melissa. Just picture Jack in the Shining and that is what I look like after a long stressful week. Can you imagine it? I am just kidding but it is a close analogy. Playing around in the kitchen is my stress relief and if I had the opportunity to do that full time I totally would. Maybe some day..... A girl can dream. Until then I will have steal moments here and there in my sanctuary.

      I have been loving this season's Chopped Junior. Those little kids are so talented and I am just amazed at what they can concoct in the kitchen in such a little amount of time. I wish I would have had their talent when I was their age. Let's be honest. They could probably put me to shame in the kitchen. They are amazing! They inspire me to improve  my techniques in the kitchen and raise my cooking skills to the next level. I have vowed to get better at creating recipes and one way I plan on doing this is to start making a lot of my own sauces and marinades. I am going to include salsa in this statement because that is what I am sharing with you today. Haha!

      A little tidbit about me. I hate tomatoes but I love salsa, ketchup, pasta sauce, and other various tomato based foods. I know I am weird. I really tried to like fresh tomatoes but I just can't. They make me gag and I immediately spit one out if it is in my food. That was probably TMI  but I think its the texture and the smell. I did not make this salsa with fresh tomatoes but used canned instead. I can eat the canned ones as long as they have a lot of seasoning and flavor. I really love how this turned out and I definitely will be making my own from now on. My husband liked it too but he just asked next time it could be a little bit more spicy. Maybe I will just make him his own batch because he likes heat a lot more than me. This recipe is quick and easy to put together and the flavors intensify the longer it sits. I recommend you make it at least a couple of hours before you eat it so it can be nice and chilled and the flavors have plenty of time to meld together.

Quick and Easy Salsa
Melissa DeWees
 
Ingredients
  1. 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
  2. 1 fresh jalapeno diced
  3. 1/2 onion diced
  4. 1 lime juiced
  5. 1/4 c chopped cilantro
  6. 1/2 tsp. cumin
  7. 1 tsp. salt
  8. 1 tsp. garlic powder
  9. 1/2 tsp. ancho chile powder
  10. 1/2 tsp. onion powder
Directions
 
  • Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl.
  • Chill for at least a couple of hours in the refrigerator to allow the flavors to merry together. Feel free to adjust the heat level or use different peppers if desired.
  • Enjoy!
 
 

     

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments:) Feel free to leave them anytime:)