Labels

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Not your regular boring salad

Lately, I have been trying to expand my horizons and taste buds. I figured I should at least try everything at least once or at least consider trying it. With that being said I have never liked bleu cheese. That goes for dressing, crumbles, and its many different forms and flavors. I always see many recipes that feature this cheese and sometimes feel a little sad that I do not like it. My husband said maybe we should try and see if it would taste good in mashed potatoes. I thought about it long and hard and decided today would be the day. I would try it again and see if I liked it this time. I tried a milder form of the cheese and hoped it would make a difference to my taste buds. All I can say is....I still don't like it. Yuck! It didn't taste disgustingly bad but it did taste weird. Maybe it is an acquired taste. Sometime in the future I may give it one more try but for now, I am just trying to get the taste out of my mouth.

I did however make a salad that was delicious and refreshing. It included black beans, lentils other vegetables and herbs. It definitely was full of flavor and made up for the funky mashed potatoes. In fact I had a larger portion because of them. I have been seeing a lot of my fellow bloggers create and post their versions of yummy summer salads. I decided I could do it as well. It was a break from traditional pasta salad or mixed green salads. I will be making more this summer as the heat and temperatures soar. It may even become too hot for me to cook in the kitchen. (we shall see)  It has been in the 100's lately and summer has only just begun.  Yikes!

I digress. Back to this yummy salad.
It was simple, easy, and delicious. Even the picky hubby liked it. Yeah!

Black bean and Vegetable Salad

Ingredients

1 15 oz can black beans
1 15 oz can lentils
1/2 c corn
2 stalks of celery diced
1/2 c onion diced (I used vidalia onion)
1/2 cucumber seeded and diced
1 carrot diced
1 lemon
2 T of tarragon
3 T olive oil
2 tsp celery salt
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Rinse black beans and lentils and place in medium sized bowl. Add celery, corn, celery, onion, cucumber, and carrots. Chop up tarragon and add it to the vegetables. Add the juice of one lemon, 3 T olive oil, celery salt, salt and pepper. Mix it all together. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours so the flavors can meld together.


Give this simple salad a try. I promise you will not be sorry. :)
I hope everyone is having a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments:) Feel free to leave them anytime:)