Labels

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Mmmmmm. Calzones

Hello all! I have been slacking these last couple of days with my post. I was going to blog yesterday but had a headache so I rested instead. I cannot believe how hot it is already. I know, it's the start of summer but jeez..... I miss the 80's already. It almost makes it hard to go in the kitchen and bake. Almost. If I couldn't bake then how would I relieve my stress. That would be a nightmare:(

I went to the zoo yesterday with my friends and their kids and had so much fun. Kids are so cute! I believe I got a headache from the heat but I think it was worth it. I love spending the day with my friends. While, I was at the zoo I was trying to decide what to make for dinner. Calzones. That was the answer. I love calzones and had not had them in a while. I guess being around the kids made me think of what foods I liked to eat as a kid. That lead me to pizza but then I thought about making a little more grown up version.
This proved to be challenging to me. It's a little harder than it looks.

I first started with the dough. I used a recipe that I had found for pizza dough. I used a combination of two recipes and added a little twist.

Pizza Dough
adapted from Mark Bittman and the Pioneer Woman

Ingredients
4 c of all-purpose flour
1 packet of yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp honey
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 c of olive oil
 1 1/2 c of warm water

Directions
Combine warm water, yeast, sugar, and honey in Kitchenaid bowl. Let the yeast active and get foamy. Add the olive oil, salt, and flour to the bowl. Turn on the mixer on medium speed and mix until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. It should be a little sticky to the touch. If it is too sticky add a little more flour. Take dough out and knead for about a minute. Place into a well oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 2 hours. After dough has risen punch down and divide into 4 portions. Roll out as desired.

 Something was not quite right with my calzones. Either I needed more dough or the calzones were too large. Maybe it only made 3 portions comfortably and not 4.

I know. That one is kind of ugly.
Then after the dough was done rising and I divided it into 4 portions it was time to stuff the calzones with some toppings.

These are some of the toppings we used for ours.
 Fill the calzones and fold them over. Seal the openings and prick with a fork all over so that they do not bubble up. Add a couple of vent holes so the steam can be released. Bake at 475F for 15 minutes until golden on top and cooked through. Enjoy.
Before picture.

After. Looks good doesn't it.
It was good! Will be making this again but with more dough. I hope you are having a wonderful day:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments:) Feel free to leave them anytime:)