Labels

Monday, June 6, 2016

Cantaloupe and Prosciutto Bruschetta



       It is almost summer and my love affair with fruit has been growing by leaps and bounds. It's so hot here in Arizona I have been really craving things more on the light side and less on the heavy. Summer has made it's presence known with a vengeance. Every time I go outside during the day I feel like I am going to spontaneously combust and end up being a pile of ashes on the ground. The heat also has been wreaking havoc on my appetite and what once sounded comforting and delicious sounds positively heavy right now.


     I have always loved bruschetta but have never made it at home. For some reason I pictured it being a little difficult and time consuming even though most of the ingredients you use are so simple in nature. You can make it with a wide variety of things and I bet each one is delicious except for tomatoes in my eyes. I loathe fresh tomatoes. I finally decided to bite the bullet and make my own and I am so pleased with how it turned out.

    
     I wanted to make a bruschetta containing fruit and cheese as well as some sort of protein. After giving it some serious thought I decided I wanted to use cantaloupe as well as one of my favorite things, prosciutto. I figured this would be perfect for either a light lunch or a nice appetizer. It was so easy to make and not time consuming at all. I definitely will be experimenting with different flavor combinations in the future. I believe all of the ingredients worked together perfectly.


Cantaloupe and Prosciutto Bruschetta
 
Melissa DeWees
 
Ingredients
 
  1. One baguette sliced into 1 inch thick pieces on the bias
  2. Thinly sliced cantaloupe
  3. Thinly sliced prosciutto
  4. Pomegranate balsamic reduced into a syrup
  5. Slices of fresh mozzarella
  6. Olive oil for drizzling
  7. Fresh mint
Directions
 
  • Preheat oven to 375 F
  • Drizzle olive oil on baguette slices
  • Bake for 4 minutes on each side to achieve a crispy texture
  • Layer mozzarella, prosciutto, cantaloupe, mint and then drizzle with balsamic syrup
  • Enjoy
 
 
 
 
     This was perfectly balanced with salty and sweet but somehow the mint made it a refreshing and light. If you were like me and thought bruschetta was difficult to make, let me put you at ease. It was very easy to make and so worth it.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments:) Feel free to leave them anytime:)