Labels

Monday, June 20, 2016

Tasty Shrimp Salad



      I do not know about you guys but I am already tired of the heat. Here in Arizona we have been experiencing a terrible heat wave and there does not seem to be an end in sight. When the weather is extreme like this my appetite tends to decrease and things that were comforting in the winter months are not as appealing to me in the summer. Lately I have been craving fresh fruits, vegetables and salads especially for lunch.

     The other day I was thinking about a salad I have not eaten in a long time but is very common back in Savannah. It is not very popular here, in fact, I do not know of a place where you can get it which I think is a shame. It evokes memories of my childhood when you could go down to the docks and buy fresh seafood off the boats. Those were the days.! I don't know if you are aware but seafood tends to by on the pricey side here in this state. Something about us being surrounded by desert. Haha!

     If you are wondering what kind of salad I am talking about, I will not keep you in suspense, it is Shrimp Salad. This salad is very similar to chicken or tuna salad but instead of making it with those items you use shrimp. I used to love going to this little café with my friends and ordering it as a sandwich. It is perfect on a sub roll or a little toasted bun. If you have never had it before I hope you give it a try. It is so delicious and not heavy at all. I lightened my version by using mainly Greek yogurt in my recipe. I am not a huge fan of mayonnaise which is used in the traditional recipe. I love to eat this on crackers or as a sandwich but it is delicious on a bed of lettuce as well.

Tasty Shrimp Salad
 
Melissa DeWees
 
Ingredients
 
  1. 1 lb. of boiled shrimp
  2. 1/2 onions diced
  3. 2 celery stalks diced
  4. 3 eggs boiled and chopped
  5. 1 cucumber diced and seeded
  6.  1/2 c Greek yogurt
  7. 1/4 c chopped parsley
  8. 2 T mayo
  9. 1/2 tsp. celery salt
  10. 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
  11. 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  12. 1 tsp. salt
  13. 1 T Dijon mustard
Directions
 
  • Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl.
  • Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to let the flavors meld together.
  • Adjust seasoning if necessary.
  • Serve over a bed of lettuce or on your favorite toasted roll.
  • Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments:) Feel free to leave them anytime:)