Labels

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Easy Tomato Soup



       Sometimes it amazes me that I like some tomato based foods but I can't stand fresh tomatoes. I just don't know what it is but fresh tomatoes really gross me out. Not only are the insides slimy but the smell is off putting to me. I have tried to eat them but once they hit my tongue I immediately start to gag and have to spit it out. Maybe its the texture, maybe its all in my head, who can say? I am glad I don't hate all tomato foods. I think I have mentioned before I do like cooked tomatoes or tomatoes that are transformed to not taste like tomatoes in pasta sauce or pizza sauce or even my salsa recipe.

     I always assumed I would not like tomato soup and refused try if for years. I finally caved in one day when many of my friends kept insisting tomato soup with grilled cheese was an amazing combination. Boy was I glad I finally gave it a try! It did not taste like fresh tomatoes and the texture was silky and smooth. In a word it was delicious.

     It makes me think what other things I think do not like  but actually do in reality. Hmmm. Maybe I really do like menudo when I always thought it was disgusting and it smells terrible. Food for thought. Pun intended. Haha. In all seriousness the soup is easy but tasty and it really does taste good with a grilled cheese.

Easy Tomato Soup
 
Melissa DeWees
 
Ingredients
 
  1. 3 cans of diced tomatoes with juices
  2. 2 T olive oil
  3. 1 carrot sliced
  4. 1 celery sliced
  5. 1 onion diced
  6. 1 1/2 T basil dried
  7. 2 c chicken broth
  8. 1/2 tsp. celery salt
  9. 1/2 onion powder
  10. 1/4 c heavy cream
  11. 2 cloves of minced garlic
  12. Salt and pepper to taste
Directions
 
  • Add the olive oil to a heated soup pot and then add the vegetables.
  • Sprinkle with salt and pepper and sauté until softened.
 
  • Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
  • Add the diced tomatoes with juices, add chicken broth, celery salt, onion powder, basil and salt and pepper.
 
  • Bring to boil and lower to a simmer and simmer for about 40 minutes until flavor meld together.
  •  
  • Puree until smooth and add the heavy cream and bring back to a boil.
 
  •  Enjoy with your favorite sandwich.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments:) Feel free to leave them anytime:)