Labels

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Adventures in deboning....Trout, part I

Today was a good day. I was off today so I made myself a little list of things I wanted to accomplish and also dishes I wanted to make. As you know, I just returned from a camping and fishing trip with the hubby. It was a lot of fun and I can't wait to go again. We caught many trout on this trip, more than I thought we would. I have never cooked trout before but I thought it could not be that hard, right?

Well... the cooking part was not the problem. The deboning was a lot harder and time consuming than I thought it would be. Before I attempted to do this I consulted old faithful..The internet. I had no clue on how to begin to get rid of all of the bones. I do not know if you could tell but some of our trout were on the small side. We would have thrown them back but many of them swallowed the hook and required extensive surgery to remove them. The others seem to lose the will to live after being hooked. I do not know why but they did. Getting back to the deboning. I watched several videos on you tube on this task. The only problem with these were their fish they deboned were a lot larger than the ones we had. It was kind of hard to relate the information to our fish. All I can say is that I did the best I could. I think it will get easier with more practice.

I also did not know the best way to cook trout. This problem was solved by consulting Food Network. I found a lovely recipe involving the grill, some citrus, and a little bit of white wine. The wine was not in the recipe but I figured it could not hurt. Hee hee!
Doesn't that look good?
I went to the farmer's market this morning and found some beautiful onions, thai basil, garlic, and patty pan squash.  I used the basil and the onions in the trout dish.I also got to meet a couple of the local farmers. I think next week I will go to another local farmer's market and I am also thinking about participating in the CSA at a local farm. What can I say? I have been inspired by many of my fellow bloggers.

I liked this fish dish. My only complaint was that it still had some bones but that was my fault. The trout were also a little bit on the skinny side. Next time we have to catch bigger fish. I know......easier said than done. I also liked how the citrus did not over power the fish but instead imparted a subtle flavor to it. My hubby liked it too! I definitely would make it again, hopefully with bigger fish next time. If you like trout I encourage you to try this recipe. I hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Citrus Grilled Trout
adapted from the Food Network

4 - medium sized trout
olive oil
1 orange cut into slices
1 lemon cut into slices
salt and pepper
white wine
2 sheets of foil

Directions
Preheat the grill. Place on sheet of foil down and brush with olive oil. Place the trout the skin side down. Brush the fish with olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper over it. Place a couple of slices of orange and lemon on top. Add you favorite fresh herbs. I used the basil on mine. Then place another trout on top. Skin side up. Fold the foil like a pocket. Pour a little bit of wine inside and then seal the foil. It should look kind of like an envelope. Repeat this with the other 2 fish. Place  on rack of grill and cook for about 8 - 10 minutes or until done. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments:) Feel free to leave them anytime:)