Labels

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Lime and Cornmeal Cookies with Citrus Glaze

Happy Monday everyone! It felt like the never ending day and but not in a bad way. Anytime I can get in some baking time makes my day that much better. I did plenty of baking today:)

My day started early because the hubby and I had eye appointments. I needed a check up, let's just say I have not had one in a really long time. Good news! I still have great vision and do not need glasses. The hubby on the other hand needed a new prescription but it did not change much from last time and also did not cost as much. Woo hoo! His glasses can be kind of expensive.

After we finished there we went and bought a new coffee pot and waffle maker. Our old coffee pot sprung a leak so it had to go and I always wanted a waffle maker. I love waffles!!! I always get one no matter where we go for breakfast. Now I have to come up with my own recipes to try in it. I can't wait!

Next on the agenda was some lunch. We went to Kona Grill and had sushi. It was good as always. Finally, I had to go grocery shopping for the week. The hubby wanted chicken salad wraps for his lunch again and we were pretty much out of everything. Then on to the fun stuff cooking and baking.

This past weekend I watched Giada at Home on the Food Network and was intrigued by a couple of her recipes. She made a pasta that looked really good and also some lime and cornmeal cookies with citrus glaze. I definitely wanted some of those. I have been craving cookies lately and I love pretty much anything citrus. She makes everything look so easy when she make them. I decided I wanted to make these and see if they tasted as great as they looked. I am going to say I was a little disappointed with them. They were hard to roll out and they were a little too grainy. I think this was because of the cornmeal. Next time I will make a shortbread cookie with these same flavors and see if I like it better.

It wasn't the worst cookie I ever ate but it also was not my favorite. I probably will not make this recipe again but if you like cornmeal or need a gluten free cookie this recipe may be for you.

Lime and Cornmeal Cookies with Citrus Glaze
adapted from Giada De Laurentis

Ingredients

1/2 stick of butter at room temperature
1 c of sugar
2 limes zested
1 egg at room temperature
2 T of lime juice
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 c rice flour and a little more for dusting
1/2 c cornmeal
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp of salt

Glaze
1 1/3 c powder sugar
1 lemon zested and 3 T of juice

Directions
Line baking sheet with parchment and set aside. In food processor pulse together butter, sugar and lime zest.

Add the lime juice, egg, and vanilla. Process until smooth. Add rice flour, baking powder, cornmeal, and salt and process until mixture forms a dough. Place a little rice flour on counter and knead dough for about 20 seconds. Flatten into a disc and wrap in plastic.

Chill in fridge for at least 20 minutes.

Place oven rack in center and preheat oven to 350F. Take out dough and cut disc into 2 pieces.

Set one piece aside and put a little rice flour on counter. Roll out dough into 1/4 inch thickness and cut out round circles with a 3 inch cookie cutter or glass if you do not have a cutter.

Place cookies on baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden around the edges. Cool for 10 minutes then transfer to baking rack and cool completely.
For the glaze whisk together powder sugar, zest and lemon juice until smooth.

Spread glaze on cookie leaving 1/4 inch border. Let  glaze harden completely about 45 minutes before storing or enjoying:)

Like I said the cookie was okay but I did not think it was great. I hope everyone is having a great week so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments:) Feel free to leave them anytime:)