Labels

Monday, July 11, 2011

Apple Crisp

Today has been a long day. I sometimes wish I had Sundays off. I can think of many more interesting things to do than go to work. I am sure we all can. Oh well, some day I will have my dream schedule. Until then, I will just keep truckin' along.

Summer is in full swing and I am in love with all of the fresh fruit and veggies that are available in the stores. There are so many things to choose from including fresh berries and many different varieties of apples. My hubby loves green apples and encouraged me, rather strenuously, to make some kind of dessert using these fruit. I thought about it long and hard and wanted to make a apple pie but I ran short in time and instead settled for making an apple crisp.

I searched around for a suitable recipe and finally decided on one from the Food Network. Let me say, it was okay but I have had better. Some of the ingredients used in the recipe were lemon juice, orange juice and zest. I thought this ended up making a little too tart and the citrus flavor was a little over powering. If I were to  make this one again I would definitely use less juice. Like I said, it was just okay. I also did not really care for the crumb topping. It kind of melted into the dessert. I think I will keep looking for another recipe. If you like citrusy desserts this may be for you. For me, I like when my apples taste like apples. It went okay with ice cream but it did not quite hit the spot. I will keep my eye out for a good recipe but I probably will try and create my own.

Apple Crisp
by Alex Guarnaschelli

Ingredients
3 lbs of granny smith apples peeled, cored, and sliced
1 lemon juiced and zested,  plus additional zest from another lemon for garnish
1 orange juiced and zested
1 T Molasses
1 1/4 tsp of kosher salt divided
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp nutmeg
3/4 c AP flour
1 c brown sugar
8 T butter

Directions
Preheat oven 375. Put sliced apples in a bowl. Mix in lemon juice and zest, orange juice and zest, molasses, 1/2 tsp of salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.

 Toss until apples are well coated. In another bowl combine flour, brown sugar and butter, Use fingers to cut butter into the flour mixture. Set aside until ready to use. Grease a 9x13 baking dish. Add apple mixture and top with crumb topping.

 Bake for 35-45 minutes or until topping is golden brown and apples are done. Serve warm with ice cream. Enjoy!

It is very pretty but to me does not taste as good as it looks. I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments:) Feel free to leave them anytime:)