Labels

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

What's eating Melissa?

Do you ever have those days when you have an important decision to make and you are not sure what to do? I am facing one of these today. So, in order to gain some perspective I decided to think it over while, you guessed it, playing in the kitchen. I thought I would experiment with an chocolate ice cream recipe and to go in the opposite direction I also made some granola bars. I have never made granola bars before but I love them so I figured what the hay?

Granola Bars
recipe adapted from Ina Garten

Ingredients
2 cups  old fashioned oats
1 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup dried papaya
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
3 T Butter
3/4 cup honey
1/4 brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
Directions: Preheat oven 350 F, prepare a 8 by 13 pan - line it with parchment paper and grease it
toast oats and almonds for 12 minutes
In the mean time, combine butter, honey, brown sugar, and salt in a pot on the stove and bring to a boil over medium heat. When the oats are done toasting place them in a large mixing bowl and stir in the flax seed. Then pour the heated honey and sugar combination over the oats and stir. Add the cranberries and papaya. Let the mixture cool for a minute then add the white chocolate chips. Pour the mixture into a prepared 8 by 13 pan. Use the back of a spatula to press it down into a pan. Bake for about 25-30 minutes until golden.
Wait a couple hours before cutting them.

Enjoy!




I think next time I will decrease the amount of brown sugar or use agave nectar. These were good but I'm sure I can make them better.

Being in the kitchen helped me feel better but I still need to make a decision. I'll keep you posted. I hope everyone is having a great day!
If you are having one of those days I urge you to go play in the kitchen:) It will make you feel better.
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments:) Feel free to leave them anytime:)