Labels

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

A beautiful Tuesday and Homemade Macaroni and Cheese

Hello Everyone.
          Isn't it a beautiful Tuesday. Here in Arizona it is going to be in the 80's. I am sad that we did not get that much of a winter. Okay, practically no winter. I know I should not be complaining but I wanted to wear sweaters and boots more than what equates to one week this year. I wish we had all four seasons here or summers that did not feel as if you are going to burst into flames. No joke. That's how it feels. It makes it hard to spend a lot of time in the kitchen and for me that is one way I can unwind and relax after a long week. Anyway, enough of the rambling and on to the good stuff.
         Anyone who knows me knows I am kind of a picky eater. Okay, more than kind of. I try to eat as healthy as I can but some days you just want something that tastes really good but it is really bad. Am I right or am I right? My husband is a lover of macaroni and cheese and I can take it or leave it. It's not my favorite food. I would rather have vegetables or a salad for my side at dinner but last night I wanted something that reminded me of home. I am originally from Georgia and you know southern cooking is awesome but not exactly the healthiest thing you can eat. I digress. Back on topic. I am always looking for a good homemade recipe for mac and cheese. I have tried ones that have eggs in it and some without but last night I think I hit gold. Instead of just making a roux with milk and butter I added a mixture of milk, butter, sour cream and cream cheese. Let me just say...It was delicious!!! My husband was impressed as well. It was so good. I may change my mind about mac and cheese and eat it more than twice a year. This recipe was created by looking at other recipes, realizing I did not have half of the things for fancy mac and cheese and using what I had. This experiment was a success. As you know, all experiments do not end in success but extreme failure. Any way on with the recipe. You can decide for yourself it is a good as I say.





 Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
created by me
 
Ingredients
  1. 8 oz. of macaroni pasta
  2. 8 oz. of shredded cheese (I used Colby Jack) divided
  3. 5 T. of salted butter
  4. 2 T. of flour
  5. 4 oz. of cream cheese
  6. 2 T. sour cream
  7. 1 and 1/2 C of milk
  8. 1/2 tsp. of red pepper
  9. 1/2 tsp. of nutmeg
  10. tsp. of garlic powder
  11. salt and pepper to taste
Directions
 
  • Preheat oven to 350 F and spray a 2 quart oven safe dish
  • Boil pasta according to directions in well salted water. Drain and toss in 2 tablespoons of butter
  • In a sauce pan melt 3 T of butter and then add the 2 T of flour. Cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes. 
  • Add the cream cheese and stir until it half way melts then add the milk and continually stir until mixture is smooth
  • add the sour cream and keep stirring
  • add red pepper, nutmeg, and garlic powder
  • bring to a boil for about 4 minutes then remove from heat and add the cheese minus one cup
  •  
  • Stir until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth
  •  
  • Taste it and add salt and pepper to your liking
  • Put the pasta into the oven safe dish and pour cheese sauce over it
  •  
  • Stir until well mixed and then sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top
  •  
  • Bake for 25 minutes and the let stand for 10 minutes before serving
  •  
  • Eat up and enjoy!!
  •  
 
I promise you will love it. I hope you try this recipe. It is pretty tasty and I am so happy on how it turned out. I hope you have a good day and I will talk to you soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments:) Feel free to leave them anytime:)