Labels

Thursday, March 3, 2016

Mississippi Mud Cake

Hello all!
      Another week is drawing to a close unless you have a job like mine where you work weekends. I am dreaming about the day I have weekends off and nothing to do but play and relax. Oh, I can picture it in my head, my husband waiting on me hand and foot and the only thing I have to do I play in the kitchen and read. Haha! That will be the day. At least the waiting on me hand and foot part. Any way,  I digress. How is your week going? Mine has been stressful but at least I found some time for myself to relax. This felt like a chocolate dessert  is necessary to remove  all bad vibes from my life kind of week. If you knew me you would find this kind of funny because I hate chocolate. Okay hate is a strong word but I do not like it unless it is white chocolate. Crazy I know, but true. Why would I create something chocolate if I do not even like it you ask? Because my husband loves it and he was having a rough week as well. I just wanted to give him a reason to smile. Sappy but true.
    
                      Look at this and tell me it would not put a smile on your face if you were upset.

 


 
It's ooey, gooey, and delicious!
Bad week, good week, this dessert will put a smile on your face.
 
         I found the texture of these to more like a brownie than a cake. They were dense but rich and delicious. I had to try a few bites for research purposes. Really. I swear.
 
         I promised myself and you guys I would dust off my cookbooks and get back in the kitchen and I am finally doing it. I also purchased some new ones because I could not resist. What can I say? I have a problem. I can't help myself. I bet you are saying enough about me and my idiosyncrasies and on with recipe.
 
Mississippi Mud Cake
 
adapted from Cake Ladies by Jodi Rhoden
 
Ingredients
for the cake
  1. 2 sticks of butter melted ( 1 cup)
  2. 1/2 c cocoa powder
  3. 4 large eggs at room temperature
  4. 2 c of sugar
  5. 1/4 tsp. salt
  6. 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
  7. 1 tsp. of vanilla 
for the topping
 
  1. 10.5 oz. of miniature marshmallows
  2. 1/4 c of butter
  3. 1/2 c milk
  4. 1/2 c cocoa powder
  5. 4 c powder sugar
Directions
 
  • Preheat oven to 350F
  • spray a 9X13 pan with vegetable spray
  • Mix all of the cake ingredients by hand together with a spatula or spoon in order of ingredients listed until no lumps remain
  • Pour the cake into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes until toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake has little to no crumbs on it (I baked mine for 32 minutes)
  • After the cake finishes baking pour the marshmallows on top of the cake
  • Start the topping
  • Melt butter in a pan with the milk and cook until it begins to simmer
  • Remove from heat and add the cocoa powder. It will be a little lumpy.
  • Put it back on medium heat and cook until it is smooth, whisking the whole time
  • Add powder sugar one cup at a time, whisking the whole time until all the sugar is added and it comes to a simmer again.
  • Pour the mixture over the top of the cake, covering the marshmallows completely
  • Let it cool to room temperature before cutting
 
Don't they look delicious?
Makes you want to go out and make them today, huh?
So rich and chocolatey.
I think these are the cure for a rough week.
 
 
       I hope you find time and make these. You will not regret it. I wish you a good rest of the week. I will talk to you guys soon.

 


 
I could not resist one more picture of this goodness.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments:) Feel free to leave them anytime:)