Labels

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Chicken Pot Pie


         Well, another week has come and gone and I am doing a lot better than last week. I am still stressed but I am not experiencing the same anxiety plaguing me from the past week.  It has been extremely busy at work and I do not think this will end any time soon. Do not get me wrong, this is a good thing but I am starting to feel a little burnt out. I hate when I feel like this. A little out of sorts but not quite sure how to get back into the swing of things.
         I started thinking about what could make me feel more relaxed and more like myself. And then it came to me. Comfort food. This is because it evokes feelings of nostalgia.. No responsibility, no stress, just being a kid. I had a good childhood filled with love and laughter and chicken pot pie transports me to simpler times.
        This recipe is so easy to make and does not take an enormous amount of time or energy. I kind of cheated a little by using store bought pie crust but I have made it with homemade and I think both ways are delicious. If you have a little time I would strongly suggest you give this recipe a try,
 
Ingredients
  1. 2 Pie crusts
  2. 1 lb. of chicken breast cubed
  3. 1 cup sliced carrots
  4. 1 cup of celery
  5. 1/2 c diced onions
  6. 1/2 c all purpose flour
  7. 1 c frozen peas
  8. 2 c chicken broth
  9. 3 cloves of garlic minced
  10. 1 1/2 tsp. Herbes de Provence
  11. 2 T of olive oil
  12. 2 T of butter
  13. salt and pepper to taste
Directions
 
  • Preheat oven to 400 F
  • prebake 1 pie shell in deep dish pan for 10 minutes
  • allow to cool while making the filling
  • Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat
  • Cook cubed chicken breast in oil with salt and pepper until just cooked through about 4-6 minutes
  •  
  • Remove chicken from pan and add the butter
  • Add the diced onions, celery, and carrots and sprinkle salt and pepper, cook until it begins to soften about 5 - 7 minutes
  •  
  • Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds until fragrant and then add the flour

  •  
  • Cook for about 2 minutes before adding the chicken broth
  • Add the Herbes de Provence and the frozen peas
  • Bring to a simmer until it thickens up and then remove from heat, taste and adjust seasoning if needed
  •  
  • Fill the prebaked pie shell and top with the other shell
  • Cut off the excess dough, crimp the sides, then add slits to the top shell for venting steam
  •  
  • Bake for about 35- 40 minutes and let stand for 10 minutes before serving
  •  
 
        This made enough filling for two pot pies. You can bake one now and freeze on for later. If you freeze one, you bake it at 425 F for about 45 minutes without thawing.
         My husband loves this recipe and so do I. I hope when you make it, it evokes feelings of happiness and peaceful times.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments:) Feel free to leave them anytime:)