Labels

Monday, May 23, 2011

It's Monday Funday

It's Monday Funday only because I did not have to work but instead got to play in the kitchen. If you remember, I said I would have some posts featuring those peaches we picked this weekend. I decided to try my hand at making a peach pie. The first time I ever made a pie from scratch it was a disaster. It was Thanksgiving and I wanted to make a pumpkin pie from scratch. Let's just say...it wasn't pretty. The pumpkin ended up as hard chunks in the middle of the pie. Like I said... it was not delicious.

This time I was determined to find a recipe for a pie crust that would be just...you know good:) I found one allrecipes.com and it had a lot of good reviews as well as a couple of suggestions of how to make it even better. I believe I found a winner.

For the peach pie filling I settled on one I found on Paula Dean's Website. It looked delectable and I can't wait to eat it. Oh, I have made the pie but it is cooling in the fridge and won't be ready until later. So without further ado, here goes the recipe.

Pie crust
adapted from allrecipes.com
Ingredients
2  1/2 c of all purpose flour
2 T of sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 c of shortening
1 egg yolk
1/2 c  COLD water

Directions
combine salt, sugar, flour, and baking powder. Cut in shortening in flour mixture until you have pea sized pieces. Beat egg yolk and add water to it. Do not over mix. Cut in half and use as necessary.

Peach Pie
from Paula Dean's website

Ingredients
 7 cups of fresh peach slices (its about 7-9 peaches depending on the size)
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 1/2 cups of sugar (I used 1/2 c of brown sugar instead of all white)
1/4 c of flour
1/2 tsp of almond extract (I used vanilla instead)
1/4 tsp nutmeg
5 T of butter divided
1 Prepared 9" double pie crust
1 egg
1 T of water

Directions
Preheat oven to 425F
roll out bottom of pie crust and place it in pan but let it over hang the side by 1"
put in fridge until ready to use
In large sauce pan add peaches, lemon juice, sugar, and flour and stir until coated.

Then bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook  until peaches are slightly softened. Stir in extract, nutmeg, and 3 T of butter and let cool slightly.

remove pie pan from fridge and add filling to it. Dot top with remaining butter and top with other crust.

I put the dough between two pieces of saran wrap. This way it did not stick to the counter or rolling pin and it made it easier to put on top of the pie.

Create your desired pattern. If you cover completely make sure to cut slits to let out steam. Crimp edges.

In small bowl, whisk the egg and water and brush mixture on top of pie crust. Bake for 10 minutes at 425F. Lower the heat to 350F and bake for an additional 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool before slicing and serve with your favorite ice cream.


Update, the last part about waiting until it is cool before slicing is not a suggestion as I found out. My pie was runny but delicious. My piece was so ugly I did not want to take a picture of it. I did however eat it.The pie crust was flakey and tasty.  It was good. So score on the crust! If tomorrow the pie piece stays together, I will take its picture. If not I will still take its picture so you can see. I hope every one's Monday was wonderful:)

1 comment:

  1. That pie looks good to me and I bet it tasted really good too. I like honest posts. Food stylings Ok for publishers but do you really have time to cut it perfectly before you serve it to your family? Not in our house :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments:) Feel free to leave them anytime:)