Pork Carnitas Burritos
adapted from Carole Jones
- 3 lbs. of pork loin
- 1 1/2 tsp. of salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. of black pepper
- 1 tsp. of cumin
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp. of Italian seasoning
- 1 lime juiced and spent halves
- 2 c of chicken broth
- 1 orange juiced and spent halves
- 3 cloves of garlic
- burrito sized tortillas
- 1 can of your favorite beans or homemade if you prefer
- 2 c of shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 300 F
- Combine ingredients 1 - 11 in a Dutch oven and bring to a boil on the stove.
- Once it is brought to a boil, place the lid and put in the oven to bake for 2 hours. Meat will be fall apart tender.
- Shred meat and spread it out on a baking pan.
- Pour a little of the cooking broth on top of meat and mix together, and spread it out in a thin layer.
- Turn oven up to broil and cook for 6 minutes on one side.
- Add a little more cooking broth and flip over and cook for another 6 minutes on the other side until the edges are crispy.
- Warm tortillas in a damp towel in the microwave until pliable, about 45-60 seconds
- Fill tortillas with beans, meat, and cheese and roll it into a burrito.
- Bake on sheet at 375 F for 15 minutes until cheese is melted and burrito is a little crisp.
- Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy.
As I said before, I am not a huge fan of Mexican food but this recipe is delicious. I hope you are having a good week and I will talk to you soon.