Labels

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Pork Carnitas Burritos

          
             Is there a type of food you are not crazy about  but your significant other loves? For me it is Mexican food. Don't get my wrong I like tacos, nachos, and sometimes burritos but usually I can take it or leave it. Now Italian food, I could eat it almost every night and not get tired of it. I love Italian food! My husband feels similarly about Mexican food so to be fair to him I am trying to expand my recipe repertoire. I have bought a couple of cookbooks to try and make some recipes out of as well as stalked pinterest looking for those that appeal to me. I am happy to say I have found one I have already made twice and will continue to make in the future. This dish is Pork Carnitas and it is good. The original recipe is from My Kitchen Escapades written by Carole Jones. I adapted it a little bit to suit our tastes but can I say winner! It is delicious and forgiving and you can make it a little spicy if that is your preference. I used the carnitas as a burrito filling and let me tell you, it might change my mind about Mexican food. I hope you give it a try.

Pork Carnitas Burritos
 
adapted from Carole Jones
 
Ingredients
 
  1. 3 lbs. of pork loin
  2. 1 1/2 tsp. of salt
  3. 1 1/2 tsp. of black pepper
  4. 1 tsp. of cumin
  5. 1 onion sliced
  6. 2 bay leaves
  7. 1 1/2 tsp. of Italian seasoning
  8. 1 lime juiced and spent halves
  9. 2 c of chicken broth
  10. 1 orange juiced and spent halves
  11. 3 cloves of garlic
  12. burrito sized tortillas
  13. 1 can of your favorite beans or homemade if you prefer
  14. 2 c of shredded cheese
 
Directions
 
  • Preheat oven to 300 F
  • Combine ingredients 1 - 11 in a Dutch oven and bring to a boil on the stove.
  •  
  • Once it is brought to a boil, place the lid and put in the oven to bake for 2 hours. Meat will be fall apart tender.
  • Shred meat and spread it out on a baking pan.
  • Pour a little of the cooking broth on top of meat and mix together, and spread it out in a thin layer. 
  •  
  • Turn oven up to broil and cook for 6 minutes on one side.
  • Add a little more cooking broth and flip over and cook for another 6 minutes on the other side until the edges are crispy.
  • Warm tortillas in a damp towel in the microwave until pliable, about 45-60 seconds
  • Fill tortillas with beans, meat, and cheese and roll it into a burrito.

  •  
     
     
  • Bake on sheet at 375 F for 15 minutes until cheese is melted and burrito is a little crisp.
  • Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy.
  •  
       As I said before, I am not a huge fan of Mexican food but this recipe is delicious. I hope you are having a good week and I will talk to you soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments:) Feel free to leave them anytime:)