Labels

Monday, April 25, 2016

Sauteed Swiss Chard


      Recently I mentioned being a member of my local CSA and what I am loving about it. I have been exposed to a lot of new vegetables and without it I probably would have never tried them. This past week I received Swiss Chard in my basket and at first I had no clue what to do with it but after giving it a little thought I came up with a recipe. I have never had it before so it goes without saying I have never prepared it but I figured you could cook it like other leafy vegetables such as spinach and kale. I decided to go simple and use very minimal ingredients and I was very pleasantly surprised with how it turned out. It was so easy to make and it was a very unfussy dish that you can make any night of the week. Swiss Chard is now on the list for vegetable sides to go with dinner. The recipe I came up with uses very little ingredients but that does not mean the taste is lacking. I hope you give it a try in the future.
 
Sautéed Swiss Chard
 
Ingredients
 
  1. 1 bunch of Swiss chard stalks removed and leaves cut up in ribbons
  2. 2 T olive oil
  3. 1/2 onion diced
  4. 3 cloves of garlic minced
  5. salt and pepper to taste
  6. Splash of balsamic vinegar
  7. sprinkling of Parmesan cheese
Directions
 
  • Heat olive oil in pan over medium heat
  • Add the butter and melt
  • Add the onion and cook until it softens
 
  • Add the garlic and stir until fragrant about 1 minute
  • Add the chard to the onion and butter mixture
 
  • Cook until it wilts down about 5-8 minutes
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Add a splash of balsamic vinegar
  • Remove from heat and top with Parmesan cheese if desired
 
      I feel like the splash of balsamic mellowed out the bitterness of the chard. I am not saying it was super bitter but it did have a little bite to it. I am glad I have finally tried this vegetable and will be eating it again in the near future.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments:) Feel free to leave them anytime:)